Monday, February 23, 2015

The Last Ronin Response

Blog #7

1. Bushido refers to not only the spirit of the samurai, but also the skills. I'd say that Magoza demonstrates this by his extreme devotion to his superior leader. The first example of this is when he runs through the entire estate, battling his way through many enemies, just to deliver a message. The fear of death was most certainly overcome. The second was when he accepts the duty to be the primary caregiver of Kane.

2. Self-sacrifice is an extremely empowering feat due to the sheer nature of giving someone else everything you have but expecting nothing in return. An obligation is usually when something causes you to return some sort of favor. For example, if you wash the salt off of my car, it is my obligation to make sure I do something in return. Magoza's willing to take care of Kane was an act of giri.

3. With bushido having ties to Zen Buddhism and an overall state of no-mind and to maintain a good name, giri seems to be vastly different from bushido in the sense that you have an obligation to maintain a good name versus wanting one just to be "pure".

4. The two scenes that I can vividly remember are when Kane leaves the courtyard after being asked who she was in love with. I believe she was handling vegetables? The other scene is when Kichiemon enters Magoza's house without knocking and Magoza returns with a weapon.

5. I see no contradictions, but rather conflicts. The two seem to be fairly secluded to each other and when they are together, it seems almost stressful and anxious, as if one is paying attention (Magoza) and the other is always almost ready to leave (Kane). For instance, asking for a kimono and when she was questioned about it she grabs it anyways and changes the subject.

6. I'd say that as time goes on, relationships in the household tend to be evening out. I mean, when I go home my mom still puts food on the table and enjoys the house and kitchen life but I feel that each gender kinda just does whatever they want. It is not the same in the workplace, however, as I believe men make $1.20 for every woman's dollar.

7. Magoza's wish to have the two be married may not have been his personal choice, but more or less the proper thing to do and to set up a proper family lineage of good fortune. It can be seen on Magoza's face that he doesn't necessarily believe in his choice, but he knows it must be done. I don't believe Kane's wish is ignored (See #8)

8. I think that Magoza has been hiding many things for many years. He initiated the sword fight to protect Kane, he asked for ten days before the marriage due to making sure his decision was right. I believe the movie will end with Magoza killing Kane and performing seppuku himself to maintain his samurai's integrity. He was supposed to die after all, right?

9. I think that bushido and the Ie system are the most apparent concepts. A lot of this film takes place indoors which feature the sliding paper. Bushido is prevalent due to the majority of the cast being samurai.

No comments:

Post a Comment